Chris Adams is a Collins & Lacy shareholder and is a member of the firm’s Management Committee. Based in the Columbia office, his law practice focuses on construction litigation. He defends general contractors, developers, architects, engineers, manufacturers, and subcontractors in areas of construction defect litigation, mechanics liens, and design professional litigation, as well as cases involving catastrophic bodily injury that occur on construction sites. Additionally, he defends designers, manufacturers, and sellers of consumer and construction products.
Chris attended the University of South Carolina for his undergraduate studies and law school. While at USC, Chris was a member of the baseball team from 1990-1992 and was an SEC Scholar Athlete. After law school, Chris clerked for The Late Honorable James Johnson, Jr., Eighth Judicial Circuit and worked as an Assistant Solicitor for the Eleventh Circuit Solicitor’s Office in Lexington, South Carolina.
Chris’s reputation has earned him an AV Preeminent rating by Martindale-Hubbell.
Bar & Court Admissions
- South Carolina
- U.S. District Court, District of South Carolina
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit
Awards & Recognition
- AV Preeminent Rating, Martindale-Hubbell
- International Advisory Experts Award (2016)
Professional, Civic, & Community Involvement
- South Carolina Defense Trial Attorneys' Association
- Co-Chair, Construction Substantive Law Committee(2009 - 2010)
- Charleston Home Builders’ Association
- Fellow and Founding Member of the Construction Lawyers Society of America (CLSA)
- American Subcontractors' Association of the Carolinas
- National Home Builders’ Association (NHBA)
- Defense Research Institute
- South Carolina Bar
- Richland County Bar Association
- International Society of Primerus Law Firms
- University of South Carolina Letterman’s Club
Papers & Publications
- "The Square Peg in the Round Hole: Contribution and Setoff Claims in Construction Litigation," SCDTAA Construction Law CLE, December 2009
- "The Nuts and Bolts of Civil Litigation," SC Bar Association, June 2007
- "Solving Mold Contamination and Water Intrusion Cases with Discovery," Sterling Education Services, June 2007
- "Advanced Civil Discovery for the Litigation Paralegal in South Carolina," Institute for Paralegal Education, October 2003
- Piercing the Veil: Paralegals and the Secrets of Law Firm Profitability Efficiency, March 28, 2014
- Free Seminar Series: How to Avoid the Pitfalls of Litigation: Tips to Keep Your Company out of Court, July 29, 2010
- Piercing the Veil: Paralegals and the Secrets of Law Firm Profitability Efficiency
- Attorneys Adams and Cole to Speak at SCDTAA Construction Law CLE, December 16, 2009, The Square Peg in the Round Hole: Contribution and Setoff Claims in Construction Litigation
- 2012 and 2013 – Attorneys Adams and Cole give Continuing Legal Education presentations, South Carolina Construction Law Overview.