Laura Baer is an associate with the firm’s Retail & Hospitality Practice Group in Columbia. Her typical work involves premises liability, torts/assaults, alcohol liability, adulterated food claims, asset protection and regulatory agency sanctions. Clients she represents include:
- Retail establishments
- Food service providers
- Bars & private clubs
- Entertainment venues and promoters
Before joining Collins & Lacy, Laura worked for the Office of the South Carolina State Treasurer and advised the elected State Treasurer, Treasurer’s Office staff, and the State Board of Financial Institutions (BOFI) on a wide range of legal matters. Laura also worked for four years at the SCCID Division of Appellate Defense as an appellate defender. There, she wrote petitions and briefs in criminal direct appeals and post-conviction relief appeals for over 200 indigent clients.
Laura received her bachelor’s degree in political science from Clemson University and earned her Juris Doctor, magna cum laude, at the University of Baltimore School of Law. Upon graduation, she served as the law clerk for The Honorable Ronald A. Silkworth at the Anne Arundel County Circuit Court in Annapolis, Maryland.
Bar & Court Admissions
- Maryland (Inactive)
- South Carolina
- U.S. District Court, District of South Carolina
Professional, Civic, & Community Involvement
- South Carolina Bar Association, Young Lawyers Division
- 2019 Midlands Cinderella Project, volunteer
- American Mock Trial Association Regional Competition, presiding and scoring judge
- 2016 and 2017 South Carolina Middle School Mock Trial Competition, scoring judge