Michael brings extensive experience to Collins & Lacy in the area of government, ethics, and compliance.
He offers counseling and litigation services to governmental entities and agencies, candidates for elective office, as well as individuals and businesses with issues before the various regulators and administrative bodies. This work includes:
- Internal investigations
- External investigations
- Regulatory compliance
In his former role as General Counsel for the South Carolina State Ethics Commission (2015-2017), Michael was responsible for prosecuting all civil complaint matters that arose before the Commission, negotiating resolution to these matters, drafting orders for the Commission, handling appeals, and providing advisory opinions to those affected by the Ethics Act. Prior to working with the Commission, Michael prosecuted health care fraud as an Assistant Attorney General for the South Carolina Attorney General’s Office, from 2011 to 2015. He has also previously worked in civil litigation for two law firms, one in Columbia and one in Washington D.C. In addition to his legal experience, Michael has served as a legislative aide to three different United States Congressmen in Washington D.C.
Licensed to practice law in the state and federal courts of South Carolina, Michael received his Juris Doctor from the University of South Carolina School of Law in 2005 and a B.A. from the College of Charleston in 1999. A native of Sumter, South Carolina, Michael presently resides in Columbia with his wife, Megan, and two children, Vivian and Grant.
Bar & Court Admissions
- South Carolina
- U.S. District Court for District of South Carolina
Professional, Civic, & Community Involvement
- South Carolina Bar Association
- Government Law Section
- U.S. District Court – District of South Carolina
- United States Tennis Association
- Presented "Lobbying the SC Legislature: Understanding Where the Lines are Drawn" on October 25th in Columbia as part of the South Carolina House's annual external continuing legal education event.
- "Doing Business with the Government, Ethically" Featured Guest on SC Public Radio's South Carolina Business Review; interviewed by host, Mike Switzer, October 10, 2018