Brian Comer is a Collins & Lacy shareholder and a member of the firm’s management committee. He also chairs the firm’s Professional Liability Practice Group and is a Certified Circuit Court Mediator. Experienced in professional negligence litigation, Brian frequently represents financial advisors in broker-dealer actions in state court and in arbitration before the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA), medical providers, attorneys, actuaries, and other service providers. He also defends equipment and machinery manufacturers in claims arising from alleged product defects, and he has substantial past experience in defending pharmaceutical manufactures. Brian enjoys writing articles and speaking about current issues in professional negligence and products liability law.
As an International Studies and Economics major at the University of South Carolina Honors College, Brian graduated magna cum laude. He received his Juris Doctor from the University of South Carolina School of Law and has an International Masters in Business Administration from the University’s Moore School of Business. During law school, Brian served as a member of the South Carolina Law Review and the Order of the Wig and Robe.
Bar & Court Admissions
- South Carolina
- U.S. District Court, District of South Carolina
- S.C. Board of Arbitrator and Mediator Certification, approved Circuit Court Mediator
Professional, Civic, & Community Involvement
- Defense Research Institute
- South Carolina Defense Trial Attorneys' Association
- Co-Chair, Products Liability Substantive Law Committee (2011-2014)
- The Council on Litigation Management
- International Society of Primerus Law Firms
- Products Liability Executive Committee (2012-present)
- Richland County Bar Association
- Palmetto SC Region Red Cross
- Board of Directors (2014-present)
- First Baptist Church Member and Deacon
Papers & Publications
- The South Carolina Products Liability Law Blog, Founder and Contributing Author with more than 180 blog posts to date
- "Utopia or Mad Max? Navigating Products Liability Issues in Future Technologies," White Paper in support of Presentation by the same name at 2015 DRI Annual Meeting in Washington, D.C.
- "Application of South Carolina Equitable Indemnification Law in the Products Liability Case," The Defense Line (published by the South Carolina Defense Trial Attorneys' Association), Fall 2012
- "Limits on the Duty to Warn in SC Products Liability Law" The Defense Line, Spring 2011
- "Products Liability Claims - What is South Carolina's Law on Warnings?" South Carolina Lawyer, January 2011
- "The Status of the Learned Intermediary Rule in South Carolina," The Defense Line, Spring 2010
- "Products Liability Claims in South Carolina: What Exactly Does 'Essentially the Same Condition' Mean?" South Carolina Lawyer, November 2009
- "Not So Straightforward: Punitive Damages Safe Harbor Statutes," For the Defense, July 2008.
- "Bifurcation of Civil Cases in South Carolina and the Fourth Circuit," South Carolina Lawyer, November 2007.
- Note, "Piercing the Corporate Veil in Wilson v. Friedberg," 48 S.C.L. REV. 905 (1997).
- "Products Liability in an Ever Shrinking World: the Globalization of Products Liability," April 14, 2016 Primerus Defense Institute (PDI) Educational Program 2016 Annual Convocation, Napa, California (co-speaker)
- "Products Liability Implications of 3-D Printing and Driverless/Autonomous Cars," April 23, 2015 Primerus Defense Institute (PDI) Educational Program 2015 Annual Convocation, Amelia Island, Florida
- "Applicant Investigation and Verification Under New FINRA Rule 3110(e)," Presented at Independent Broker-Dealer Conference on October 21, 2015
- Collins & Lacy Attorney Brian Comer Presents at SCDTAA Trial Academy
- Collins & Lacy to Host Presentation for Association of Corporate Counsel, June 14, 2013
- Collins & Lacy Attorney Brian Comer Leads Free Primerus Webinar on the "Same Condition" Requirement in Products Liability Cases, December 12, 2012
- Collins & Lacy Attorney Brian Comer to Lead Products Liability Session at South Carolina Defense Trial Attorneys' Association 2012 Annual Meeting, October 18, 2012
- Attorney Brian Comer to Present at National Business Institute Seminar, "South Carolina Update: Product Liability Law", October 11, 2012
- Collins & Lacy, P.C. Attorney Brian Comer Plans Inaugural SCDTAA Products Liability Seminar, August 24, 2012
- Collins & Lacy Attorneys to Present CLE to Association of Corporate Counsel, June 7, 2012
- "Indemnity Rights: Avoiding Surprises," presented at the 2012 Primerus Defense Institute Convocation, April 21, 2012
- "Vendor and Retailer Liability in South Carolina Products Liability Law," presented at the annual conference for the South Carolina Association of Convenience Stores, March 21, 2012
- "What is South Carolina's Law on Warnings?" South Carolina Bar CLE, April 25, 2011
- "Who Needs Letterman? - The Annual ACMIE TOP TEN CASES," presented at meeting of the Agricultural, Construction, Mining and Industrial Equipment Specialized Litigation Group Session at the April 5 - 8, 2011 DRI Products Liability Conference in New Orleans, Louisiana.